The Greenbelt Police Department is located in Prince George's County, Maryland. It is situated near the Washington, D.C. and Baltimore metro areas. The city has a population of approximately 23,000 and covers an area of 6.5 square miles.
To keep this community safe, the police department uses New World™ public safety software from Tyler Technologies.
Prior to using New World software, the Greenbelt Police Department had no formal computer aided dispatch or records management system. When calls came in to dispatch, all information regarding the location, situation and subjects involved was handwritten and communicated to officers via radio. Officers then wrote the information down in their patrol cars and traveled to the scene. This data collected by paper and pencil was then manually entered into Microsoft® Word™ reports back at the station.
Without an integrated CAD and records system, officers had minimal information in the field, which led to multiple radio interactions with dispatchers and continuous trips to and from the police station. Officers were not able to access premise history or other vital pieces of information when responding to or on the scene of a call. Without easily accessible information in the field, sworn officers and civilian employees with the Greenbelt Police Department:
- Spent less time in the field
- Had to rewrite and transfer information numerous times throughout the day
- Lacked vital information that could help them stay safe on the scene
- Manually input data into a daily log
In 2009, the Greenbelt Police Department selected Tyler's New World public safety software solutions including CAD, records, mobile and field reporting to replace its antiquated process. This decision provided the police department with modern, Windows-based technology to help the department's 53 sworn officers and civilian employees do more while in the office or on the road.
By selecting New World CAD, records, mobile and field reporting solutions, the Greenbelt Police Department now experiences:
- Enhanced efficiency with a fully-integrated software system
- Sworn officers can do more in the field by communicating instantly with dispatchers, which helps them to view mug shots, access premise history and priors directly on mobile devices.
- More information in the field helps officers reduce trips to the station, identify criminals on the road and serve warrants expeditiously.
- Communication specialists using CAD can see where units are on a digital map at all times, which helps with efficient patrolling.
- All software users have access to the same information, which helps increase the accuracy of communication.
- Increased community and officer safety
- With New World CAD, officers have constant access to digital maps, premise history and priors, which enables them to stay safer on the scene of a call while protecting the community as well.
The Greenbelt Police Department uses New World public safety software to help keep the community and officers safe with the information sharing, communication and integration capabilities of its software system.