Laramie County Case Study
CITY POPULATION 92,000
CLIENT SINCE 2015
SOLUTION USED New World Public Safety Solutions and Brazos
SQUARE MILE SERVED 2,688
Laramie County is located in the High Plains of Wyoming. It is the most populous county in the state with 92,000 residents in a 2,688 square mile area.
The county is home to a large Air Force base, veteran home, and it’s located at the intersection of Interstates 25 and 80, which bring drug trafficking to the area. In addition, there is a train depot in town, which has led to an influx of transient people to the community.
Tourism also brings an increased population to the area as people come to visit the High Plains, hunt, and travel on to the Rocky Mountains or Grand Teton and Yellowstone national parks.
To effectively patrol this vast amount of land and keep the community safe, the Laramie County Sheriff’s Office uses Tyler Technologies’ New World public safety solutions.
Laramie County began using New World public safety solutions in 1996. At the time, the system was AS-400 based and had limited mapping capabilities. While this functionality was common at the time, without a visual representation of alerts or built-in response plans, the workflow was cumbersome, which resulted in the creation of duplicate jackets and other errors.
When officers called over the radio asking for dispatchers to run contacts or search for warrants, 30 to 40 jackets would be returned, which made identification nearly impossible. Dispatchers stopped depending on the computer aided dispatch (CAD) system due to the system having so many duplicate jackets.
In addition, sworn officers and civilian staff using the system had to determine uniform crime reporting (UCR) data and statutes, which slowed processes and required users to learn all of the hundreds of UCR codes.
To mitigate these challenges, officials with the sheriff’s office decided they needed to upgrade their system to something modern with powerful mapping, data sharing, mobile, and field reporting capabilities.
In 2015, the Laramie County Sheriff’s Office upgraded to New World Enterprise CAD.
By upgrading to the Enterprise platform, the sheriff’s office and its affiliated agencies experienced the following benefits:
- Duplicate jackets were reduced from 57% at the police department and 32% at the sheriff’s office to less than 1% between all agencies
- This allows for dispatchers to accurately pull information and provide officers with the correct information while they’re in the field
- Time spent searching through jackets is almost fully eliminated
- GIS capabilities provided faster, better routing throughout the county
- All addresses are geo-verified, allowing for dispatchers and first responders to navigate to the appropriate location in any situation
- Geofencing capabilities provide instant routing options as soon as rescue vehicles begin to move and automatically changes their status to ‘arrived’ when on the scene
- Mobile apps helped provide fire and EMS crews the power of mobile CAD in their fire trucks and ambulances
- This provides first responders with live call information in the vehicle and dispatchers receive automatic vehicle location (AVL) data, which helps with accurate routing
- Dispatchers also use unit recommendations and proximity dispatching to send the closest responder to an emergency
- When paramedics use New World CrewForce, dispatchers can see patient information immediately, which allows them to go through specific protocols and identify life-saving information
- This gives dispatchers more time to focus on the call for service and reduce time spent on the radio
If you’re already a New World customer, the integration is so good between New World and Brazos—the e-Citation product Tyler offers that we already use—that there’s really no reason to go with anybody else
Public Safety Administrator for the Laramie County Sheriff’s Office
With software solutions that reduce the amount of time it takes to search for mission-critical information, provide powerful mapping and routing capabilities, and get information into the hands of all first responders, agencies provide more efficient and data-driven services to the community.
Want to Know More?
New World public safety software from Tyler offers fully integrated and multijurisdictional solutions for law enforcement, fire and EMS agencies. Highly configurable, this system is designed to meet the unique needs of any agency.