Tyler Technologies, Inc., and its subsidiary and affiliated entities ("Tyler"), want you to benefit from the information and services we make available when you visit one of our websites, interact with Tyler through an online community forum we make available, or use our browser-based software or mobile applications (collectively the "Tyler Platform") with the knowledge that we have implemented fair and transparent information policies and practices designed to protect your privacy.
This Privacy Statement describes our practices and policies regarding our collection and use of personal information about users of the Tyler Platform and sets forth your privacy rights. This Privacy Statement also applies to information we collect through other means about you, including offline and from third parties. If you do not agree with our policies and practices, you have a choice to not use the Tyler Platform.
We will update this Privacy Statement from time to time as we adopt new privacy policies or change our personal information practices. Any updates will be reflected in the current version of the Privacy Statement available on the Tyler Platform.
A SPECIAL NOTE FOR CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS: If you are a California resident, you may have certain data privacy rights which supplement this Privacy Statement. Please read our CCPA Compliance Bulletin for further information and review our CCPA – Supplemental Notice for more details on these additional data privacy rights.
Who We Are
Tyler is a global company comprised of several legal entities. Our corporate headquarters are located in the state of Texas, in the United States. You can find information about all of our office locations on tylertech.com, and we have also provided contact information at the end of this Privacy Statement.
We are a company dedicated to providing software solutions to our public sector clients to empower them to serve their own governmental and business functions. As such, most of the personal information Tyler collects and processes is in connection with the software and services we provide to our clients pursuant to our contractual arrangements with them. In these cases, Tyler is acting as a "data processor" only. Please see details under the heading "End User Personal Information".
In other interactions, such as when you visit the tylertech.com website or when you give us a physical card collected at a trade show, you provide us with your contact information. And, in some cases, Tyler is providing software and services directly to you based on an engagement you have asked us to undertake. In these types of scenarios, Tyler is the "data controller" because we are making the decisions about what personal information is collected during your visit to our website or trade booth, or your direct use of the Tyler Platform, and how we use that information to fulfill our business purpose(s).
The data privacy measures we undertake, and the rights you have with respect to your personal information, are dependent on whether Tyler is the data processor or the data controller of that information, as more fully explained below.
We have an in-house team of security and privacy professionals staffed across the United States. If you have questions or concerns regarding Tyler's data privacy policies or practices, you may contact our privacy team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 1-800-772-2260 Option 7. Regular mail may be sent to the attention of the Legal Department/Privacy Team using the contact information at the end of this Privacy Statement.
End User Personal Information
When Tyler makes the Tyler Platform available for use by a client we do so under a contractual arrangement with our client pursuant to which the client, not Tyler, makes the decisions about what personal information is collected and how it is processed in the Tyler Platform. Personal information collected in this context could include, for example, information required to set up administrator rights for a client's employees in the context of their employment duties, or personal information collected from a client's constituents who are using the Tyler Platform to pay their property tax or utility bill. In these interactions, the client's employees or constituents are "End Users".
If you have questions or concerns about our client's decisions regarding the collection and processing of your personal information, you may contact us, or our client. If you contact us, we will coordinate the response with our client as appropriate .
Why We Collect Personal Data
Tyler collects personal information about users of the Tyler Platform for various reasons:
Online and Website Services: Tyler collects personal information when users interact with us online and through our websites in order to, for example:
- Provide you with information or services you request, including when you subscribe to our newsletters, blogs and online subscriptions;
- Comply with our legal and security obligations with respect to operating the Tyler Platform;
- Improve our products, services, and operations; and
- Personalize and continually improve user experience on the Tyler Platform
Responding to Requests Related to Tyler Platform Offerings: When you have requested access to or use of a Tyler Platform, Tyler collects and uses personal information to, for example:
- Provide our clients with the products and services which Tyler is contractually obligated to provide;
- Process your request and complete a transaction (including sending invoices and collecting payments);
- Assist you in implementing the Tyler Platform you have requested, including setting up user account(s);
- Provide you with support and ongoing services for the Tyler Platform;
- Provide you access to Tyler's online user education system (TylerU), Tyler-sponsored online user community forums or other interactive tools designed for users of the Tyler Platform; and
- Register you for an in-person Tyler event or conference or virtual webinar, provide you with a class schedule and hotel accommodations, if applicable, track your attendance and request that you participate in surveys during and following the event.
Visitors to our Physical Office Locations:If you visit one of our physical office locations, we may collect personal information such as your name, employer and form of identification, in order to support our compliance with applicable security practices and procedures or applicable legal requirements.
For Tyler Marketing Purposes: We collect information from you, directly and indirectly (such as through analytics tools we use on tylertech.com) for our marketing purposes such as:
- Providing you with advertising and information about Tyler products or services that match your interests and other criteria you have identified, or that we otherwise believe may be of interest to you based on your activity on the Tyler Platform or activity on third-party sites and applications, such as social media platforms;
- Performing statistical, demographic, and marketing analyses of users of the Tyler Platform and their behavioral patterns.
For Tyler's Legitimate Business Purposes: Tyler uses personal information collected and processed by the Tyler Platform for Tyler's other business purposes, such as:
- Gathering and analyzing data about client and end-user usage of the software and services offered by the Tyler Platform;
- Managing our security obligations with respect to the Tyler Platform;
- Complying with applicable laws and regulations;
- Conducting internal auditing, finance and insurance operations.
How We Collect Your Information
The information we collect about you comes to us in several different ways —
Information you provide to us:
- When you submit a contact form on a Tyler Platform, or post comments or questions on one of our online forums, you may choose to disclose information about yourself, including your name, physical address, email address, and phone number, along with information regarding your preferences and interests.
- When you make a support call via telephone, participate in a remote support assistance call, or other online support chat service, Tyler may make a record of such interaction and retain an audit log.
- When you attend a Tyler in-person event or conference or an online webinar, you will be required to provide personal information necessary to register you for the event or webinar.
- Tyler regularly records its events and webinars and may take photos at in-person events.
- When you visit us at a trade show booth and provide us with your business card, or when you chose to complete one of our information cards available at our trade show booths.
- When you are an End User of a Tyler client, you may be required to disclose information about yourself in order to avail yourself of the products and services provided by the Tyler Platform.
Information that is automatically collected: Like many websites and online platforms, we use web analytics tools that rely on cookies, web beacons, and other automated tracking technologies ("Tracking Tools"). Depending on your use of the Tyler Platform, we may use the Tracking Tools to help us analyze how users interact with and use the Tyler Platform, improve the Tyler Platform, personalize your Tyler Platform experience, provide you with information we believe may be of interest to you, and identify others like you who may be interested in our products and services.
The information we collect automatically includes information about your computer and internet connection (including your IP address, operating system, and browser type) and details regarding your visits to the Tyler Platform (including your browsing actions and patterns and information about any referring website, search engine, social media platform, or link). When you use a Tyler mobile application, Tyler may collect and process unique device-specific identifiers which identify your mobile device.
We use Tracking Tools to collect the information described above. Please do note though, that in certain instances, for our legitimate business purposes we correlate the information collected through Tracking Tools to your personally identifiable information you have otherwise provided us.
Third Party Tracking Tools; Google Analytics
The Tracking Tools we use include analytics services we obtain from third parties. The information generated by these analytics services will be transmitted to and stored by the third parties and will be subject to their privacy policies. Please note that if you visit a third-party website, including one we may direct you to, we do not control these third parties' tracking technologies, how they may be used, or the information they may collect, and we are not responsible for these third parties' privacy policies.
Two of the third-party Tracking Tools we use are Google Analytics and CrazyEgg. The information generated by Google Analytics will be transmitted to and stored by Google and will be subject to Google's privacy policies, which can be viewed here ("Welcome to the Google Privacy Statement"). To learn more about Google's partner services and to learn how to opt out of tracking of analytics by Google, visit ("How Google uses data when you use our partners' sites or apps"). The information generated by CrazyEgg will be transmitted to and stored by CrazyEgg and will be subject to CrazyEgg's privacy policies, which can be viewed by clicking here https://www.crazyegg.com/privacy. To opt-out of tracking by CrazyEgg, click here https://www.crazyegg.com/opt-out.
We do not respond to a user's "Do Not Track" (DNT) browser request, given that we cannot control the DNT handling of third parties interacting with our site, such as Google Analytics.
Cookies and Web Beacons
The Tracking Tools we use rely on cookies and web beacons:
- Cookies. A cookie is a small data file that can be placed on your hard drive when you visit certain websites. Cookies are used to collect and store information, such as the type of computer you are using and how often you log on to a site. The Tyler Platform uses both "session cookies," to improve your navigation across the Tyler Platform and to remember you over the course of a single visit, and "persistent cookies," which are stored on your computer until they expire or are deleted and help us provide better service to you over multiple visits to the Tyler Platform. You can always delete or disable cookies through your browser. If you disable cookies, you may not be able to sign in or take advantage of certain features of the Tyler Platform that require cookies.
- Web Beacons. In addition to cookies, we deliver "web beacons" through the Tyler Platform and through emails we send you. Web beacons are small graphic images that may not be visible to Tyler Platform visitors that collect information about Tyler Platform usage on an anonymous basis. In some cases, anonymous data may be transmitted to third-party advertising networks. We use web beacons for our own internal analytics, to better understand the ways users interact with the Tyler Platform, and to determine whether an email was received and opened. We also use web beacons in connection with our marketing efforts. For example, web beacons allow third-party advertising networks to detect when a user has visited a Tyler's website, and then serve them ads for Tyler's products and services when they browse to another site.
Information from third parties and other sources: We supplement the information we collect through the Tyler Platform with information from third parties (including our advertising partners, trade show associations which Tyler sponsors, and other service providers and reputable vendors who contractually represent to us that they are authorized to obtain and share your information with us) and information we collect through other means, such as offline or through other websites. This information includes social media profile information, depending on the settings you have established for your social media accounts.
When and How We Share Personal Data With Others
Except as described in this Privacy Statement, Tyler will not share your personal information with third parties, rent or sell its mailing list, or share your personal information with third parties for their direct marketing purposes.
Within the Tyler Family: Tyler reserves the right to share your personal information collected and used by one of the Tyler entities with any other entity wholly owned or controlled by Tyler Technologies, Inc.
To the Tyler Client: If you are an End-User as described in this Privacy Statement, Tyler will share your personal information with Tyler's client who is providing your access to the Tyler Platform (e.g. your employer or our client).
Service Providers: We have service providers that perform functions on our behalf, such as hosting, content management, client relationship management, social media integration, marketing, analytics, billing, payment processing and customer service. These entities may have access to personal information if necessary or useful to perform their contractual functions. If obtaining such access, these third parties will be subject to confidentiality and security/privacy obligations with respect to such information.
Partners: Tyler may share information about you with our business partners and trade associations in order to provide you with information and services that you have requested or that we believe may be of interest to you.
Law Enforcement / Legal Obligations: Tyler reserves the right to share information about you where Tyler believes that such disclosure is necessary to comply with a legal requirement, such as a subpoena or court order, or to protect the rights or property of Tyler, you, or third parties.
Consent: Tyler may share your information in any other manner to which you consent. When you use a Tyler Platform to post or upload information that is shared publicly (i.e. via an online community forum or social media account), you are consenting to Tyler sharing that information.
Protection of Your Information
Tyler makes reasonable efforts to guard your personal information against accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure. We update and test our security technologies on an ongoing basis. We restrict access to your personal information to those employees who need to know that information to provide benefits or services to you. In addition, we train our employees about the importance of confidentiality and maintaining the privacy and security of your information. We commit to taking appropriate disciplinary measures to enforce our employees' privacy responsibilities.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we take measures to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee its security. The safety and security of information also depends on your own security practices. If we have provided you with (or you have chosen) a username and password for access to certain parts of a Tyler Platform, you are responsible for keeping such information confidential. Please do not share your username and password with anyone.
Your Choices About Your Personal Data
The Tyler Platform allows you to submit information through the Tyler Platform, including personal information, such as your mailing or email address, or information needed to process a payment.
- If Tyler is acting as the data controller of your personal information and you have questions about your personal information, or, in accordance with applicable laws, you want to correct, update, or in certain cases, delete the information you can contact us at any time by emailing email@example.com. Additionally, Tyler provides you choices regarding the way we use the personal information you have provided us. For example, you may sign up to receive newsletters or email notifications regarding Tyler products or services. You may opt-out of receiving these communications at any time by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by selecting the opt-out option provided in the body of the communication.
- If Tyler is acting as the data processor of your personal information for or on behalf of a Tyler client (as explained above under End User Personal Information), you may contact either Tyler or the Tyler client with your inquiries. If you contact us, we will contact the client and coordinate a response accordingly.
Transferring Personal Data to the United States
Tyler is headquartered in, and most of its corporate functions occur in, the United States. Please be aware that any information you provide to us may be transferred to and processed in the United States and may be subject to United States law. The privacy and data protection laws in the United States may not be equivalent to the laws in your country of residence.
The United States has not sought nor received a finding of "adequacy" from the European Union under Article 45 of the European Union's General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Tyler relies on derogations for specific situations as set forth in Article 49 of the GDPR. In particular, Tyler collects and transfers to the U.S. personal information only: with your consent; to perform a contract with you, or a contract with a Tyler client; or to fulfill a compelling legitimate interest of Tyler in a manner that does not outweigh your rights and freedoms. Tyler endeavors to apply suitable safeguards to protect the privacy and security of your personal information and to use it only consistent with your relationship with Tyler and the practices described in this Privacy Statement.
Except as described below, the Tyler Platform is not intended for use by minors.Tyler does not knowingly collect personal information from minors.
Tyler provides certain Tyler Platform products and services to K-12 schools clients. When Tyler is under contract with its K-12 schools clients, Tyler:
- Complies with applicable state and federal laws, including but not limited to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA);
- Does not collect or use student personal information in excess of what Tyler needs to perform its contractual obligations to the Tyler client;
- Does not sell student personal information to third parties; and
- Does not use or disclose student personal information for the purpose of targeted advertising to students.
This Privacy Statement applies only to information collected by the Tyler Platform and not to other websites that you may link to from the Tyler Platform. Tyler is not responsible for the privacy practices of third-party websites. Please be aware that when you leave a Tyler Platform, you should review respective privacy policies for other entities or websites that ask you to provide personal information.
Notification of Changes
Any changes to this Privacy Statement will be reflected in an updated Privacy Statement made available on the Tyler Platform. Any information that we collect from you will be used in accordance with the version of this Privacy Statement in effect at the time the information was collected, unless we receive your consent to change our practices with respect to previously collected information.
For further information or comments on our Privacy Statement, please contact our privacy team at email@example.com, or contact Tyler at the following address:
Tyler Technologies, Inc.
One Tyler Drive
Yarmouth, ME 04096
ATTN: Legal Department/Privacy Team
Phone: 1-800-772-2260, Option 7
EFFECTIVE: January 1, 2020