Laramie County Sheriff's Office - Brazos
Laramie County is the most populous county in the state of Wyoming with approximately 92,000 residents living in a 2,688 square mile area.
To effectively patrol this vast amount of land, the Laramie County Sheriff’s Office uses Tyler Technologies’ Brazos eCitation solutions.
Prior to using Brazos, law enforcement officers within the county struggled with accuracy and efficiency in their ticket writing processes. This led to officers spending time filling out multiple carbon copies of tickets on the roadside and using multiple ticket books. Once the tickets were written, they were delivered to the records department within the sheriff’s office for manual data entry.
Another issue specific to the state of Wyoming involves state requirements for issuing tickets. Wyoming law states officers can only write one ordinance violation or statute violation on a ticket. In situations where officers need to write more than one violation, they had to handwrite multiple tickets.
Officials with the sheriff’s office decided they needed an automated solution that could eliminate their pain points and:
- Reduce time writing tickets
- Improve accuracy
- Integrate directly with the department’s law enforcement records management solution
In 2015, the Laramie County Sheriff’s Office purchased Tyler’s Brazos eCitation solution.
By implementing Brazos, the Laramie County Sheriff’s Office now experiences the following benefits:
- Reduced time spent issuing citations
- Officers use auto-population functionality within Brazos to fill out tickets rapidly and accurately
- When writing more than one violation, Brazos allows officers to select the different violations and print multiple tickets at once
- Officers get back on the road quicker to continue patrolling
- Improved accuracy
- Digitally entering citation data improved accuracy by eliminating legibility issues
- Human error is eliminated by no longer reading handwritten ticket details
- The VIN and license number are automatically pulled into the ticket after being scanned
- This information is then tied to the individual and vehicle involved and stored in records
- Pre-fill capabilities in Brazos reduced time on the roadside as it allows for location data of intersections to automatically load on the ticket
- If tickets are filled out incorrectly, it is rejected in the records system, providing officers with the opportunity to fix the error
- This reduced the amount of citation that are dismissed by the courts
- Met all state requirements for submitting to the Supreme and Circuit courts
- Customization in Brazos allowed for specific citation requirements to be built into the citation solution, allowing for ticket information to forward on to the courts and records department
- This allows for better statewide tracking capabilities of moving violations and other related traffic stop violations
- Seamlessly integrated with law enforcement records management system
- Data from Brazos transfers directly into the law enforcement records management system used by the sheriff’s office
- Laramie County uses Tyler’s New World public safety solutions, which are integrated with Brazos eCitation solutions.
“If you’re already a New World customer, the integration is so good between New World and Brazos that there’s really no reason to go with anybody else,” said Dominic Davis, public safety administrator for the Wyoming County Sheriff’s Office.
With software that helps improve accuracy, reduce time spent on the roadside, and streamline processes, law enforcement agencies have better resources at their disposal and more time to keep the community safe.
Want to Know More?