Meeting Technology Initiatives
San Jose Unified School District (SJUSD) is committed to increasing its efficiencies, streamlining operations, optimizing technology, and embracing best business practices to enable its staff to spend more time focusing on educating students.
- Industry: K-12 Education
- Location: Northern California
- Employees: 3,000
- Tyler Client Since: 2005
- Students: 28,830
- Tyler Products Used: Munis, Tyler Content Manager, Traversa
Becoming More Efficient
Years ago, San Jose Unified School District was focused on upgrading several areas of operation to meet its technology-based initiatives. From paper-based processes and disparate information “silos,” to a lack of end-user training and poor business intelligence tools, the school district wanted to optimize its processes and become more efficient as an organization.
Realizing Tangible Benefits
Not only did SJUSD want to realize financial benefits from improved processes, but it hoped to greatly reduce — and eventually eliminate — the frustration its staff had with redundant, disparate, and non-integrated processes and procedures.
The district’s business manager at the time, Derek Moore, decided to implement Munis® Employee Self Service (ESS), a fully customizable employee portal from Tyler Technologies, to enable the district to facilitate its professional development registration procedures.
“Having all our course and registration information consolidated in one place helped our staff’s frustration with the process,” said Moore. That, in itself, yielded intangible benefits for SJUSD.
And while professional development was the initial use case for ESS, SJUSD also implemented benefit enrollments for employees — including health, dental, vision, and life insurance. This became a significant process improvement and reduced employee frustrations around benefit enrollments, immediately allowing them to see what they were getting for the cost.
Enhancing and Streamlining Processes
In all, SJUSD implemented significant best practices that enhanced and streamlined processes, yielding a greater return on investment for the district. Following are just some of the results that SJUSD realized with Tyler:
- Eliminated its log-in requirement of three per user, employing an Active Directory single-sign-on for its Munis applications
- Utilized ESS to simplify its professional development and course registration processes, as well as its benefit enrollment processes
- Incorporated new reporting functionality to capture robust operational intelligence capabilities and reduce dependency on limited report writing resources
- Migrated its paper-based applicant tracking processes to electronic applications in Munis Applicant Tracking
- Deployed Tyler Content Manager™ throughout the organization for electronic document storage
One of our core goals has been to leverage our current applications and software in order to ensure that SJUSD can best support our range of users and to maintain safe and secure systems.
Tyler allows us to do this not only with continual enhancements to our current Munis software, but with trainings through its PACE program that allow our staff to focus on our vision of preparing today’s students to be the thinkers, leaders, and creators of tomorrow.
Director of Technology & Data Services, SJUSD
- Tyler has more than 30 years of experience delivering software and services to local government and school offices throughout all 50 states, Canada, the Caribbean, and the United Kingdom.
- Tyler offers experience, excellent customer service, and expertise in both technology and the public sector.
- Tyler is the largest company solely dedicated to providing software and services to the public sector.
- With more than 100 Munis clients in California, and counting, Tyler Technologies offers ongoing support and opportunities for peer-to-peer learning.