The State of California requires additional privacy measures from certain businesses for the benefit of certain California residents. Those requirements are set forth in the California Consumer Privacy Act, or CCPA. For information about how the CCPA might apply to your relationship with us, please review our CCPA Bulletin.
If you are a California resident and the CCPA applies to your relationship with us, please review this Notice, which supplements our Privacy Statement.
Information We Collect
Our Privacy Statement outlines certain types of information we collect through the websites, forums and other online platforms (the "Tyler Platform") we make available to users as part of our business. We also leverage the Tyler Platform to make certain online services available for our business. And, we sometimes collect personal information through offline means, such as hard-copy forms you may submit at trade shows, information you may provide to us related to your employment with us, or information requests you submit to us in person.
During any 12-month period, we may collect the following types of information from you, in addition to the information types we describe in our Privacy Statement:
- Account information, such as your name and contact information (including your email address) and payment information.
- Communication information, such as any messages, feedback, attachments or other information you send us, whether in hard-copy or electronic form.
- Employment information, including information you provide to us as part of an application for employment and/or information you provide to us over the course of your actual employment with us. This includes banking information and tax information you provide to us for payroll and benefits purposes.
- Protected classification information, such as your age, race, gender, veteran or military status, or other protected classifications, to the extent you disclose that information to us, such as when you provide it to us in connection with your employment by us.
- Commercial information, such as products or services you have licensed or purchased from us, or considered licensing or purchasing from us.
Less frequently, we may obtain information about you from third parties. For example, we might receive your contact information from a third-party provider, or we might receive a background check report from a third party if you successfully apply for employment with us. If you register for an event with us through a third-party provider, that provider will share the information you provide to us.
We strive to make the Tyler Platform available to you, and to provide our business services to you, without depending on the collection of your sensitive information, such as your Social Security number, your driver's license number, or your passport number (although you may be required to provide that information to us in connection with your employment by us). We recommend that you do not provide that information to us unless you are required to do so, such as in the employment context.
As a reminder, we do not knowingly or intentionally collect information about minors for our own business.
PLEASE NOTE: The Tyler Platform may be leveraged by a Tyler client to make certain products or services available to California residents. Tyler does not control the information submitted to the Tyler Platform in those circumstances, and any questions or requests related to that information should be submitted to the controlling entity (in other words, the Tyler client).
Using Personal Information
When we collect personal information subject to the CCPA from you or about you, we use it to:
- Provide the Tyler Platform, such as to verify your identity and your account information, communication information to you about our business, collect your feedback, process your payments, facilitate other services or promotions.
- Improve the Tyler Platform by performing research, testing, analysis, issue remediation, and other innovation.
- Maintain the safety and integrity of the Tyler Platform, such as authenticating users and visitors and blocking/removing unsafe or fraudulent activity.
- Build and maintain the Tyler community, such as communicating with you about our products, services and/or events and personalizing your experience with us.
- Perform the services you have asked us to perform.
- Respond to the requests or inquiries you make to us.
- Fulfill our obligations as your employer.
- Cooperate with legal proceedings and applicable requirements, such as responding to demands from law enforcement and regulatory agencies that might call upon your personal information.
- Evaluate or conduct a merger or other corporate reorganization or divestiture, whether as a going concern or as part of a bankruptcy or similar proceeding.
We will not collect or use personal information for materially different, unrelated, or incompatible purposes without updating the Privacy Statement or this Supplemental Notice.
Sharing Personal Information
We may share your personal information (and have shared personal information in the preceding 12 months) with our affiliates or third parties for a business purpose. When we disclose personal information to third parties for a business purpose, we enter a contract that describes the purpose and requires the recipient to both keep that personal information confidential and not use it for any purpose except performing the contract.
The types of personal information we may share include your personal identifiers, financial information, commercial information, Internet activity information, and/or location data. We may share this information to maintain and service your account(s) with us, help provide the services you have requested from us, fulfill our obligations as your employer, obtain marketing and analytics information, supplement internal research, or process payments you make through us.
In addition to the various business purposes we may have for sharing your personal information, we might also share it to comply with a legal obligation, respond to legal process or enforce our legal rights, cooperate with law enforcement, or other similar legal demands. We might also share your personal information during a change of control transaction, such as a restructuring, merger, or sale of our assets. Finally, we may share your personal information for some other reason after you consent to our doing so.
Storing and Protecting Your Information
We retain your information for so long as we need it to provide the Tyler Platform, the services you have requested from us, or to otherwise comply with an obligation that applies to us, such as a legal obligation. As noted in our Privacy Statement, we strive to protect your information from unauthorized disclosures; however, we cannot guarantee the absolute security of information you provide to us. There is no security measure or set of measures that can promise to be impenetrable.
Your Rights and Choices
Our Privacy Statement describes the choices you can make about how to control the personal information we receive from you. If the CCPA applies to your relationship with us, then you can make additional decisions about that information. You may exercise these rights no more than twice per year for no charge.
Right to Know: You have the right to know what types of personal information we collected about you, if any, during the 12 months prior to your request. This includes:
- The categories of personal information we collected about you;
- The categories of sources from which we collected that information;
- Our business or commercial purpose for collecting that information;
- The categories of third parties with whom we shared your personal information;
- With some exceptions, the specific pieces of personal information we have collected about you.
Right to Delete: Once you know what type of personal information we have collected about you, you have the right to ask us to delete it (and/or to instruct us to have our service providers delete it). Please note, however, that there are certain exceptions that allow us to keep your personal information even after you have requested us to delete it. Those exceptions include, but are not limited to:
- Complete your transaction;
- Provide you with a product or service you requested;
- Perform our contract with you;
- Take actions reasonably anticipated in the context of our ongoing relationship with you;
- Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, or prosecute those responsible for such activities;
- Remediate performance issues;
- Protect your free speech rights or the free speech rights of other users;
- Comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act (Cal. Penal Code § 1546 seq.), if and as applicable;
- Engage in public or peer-reviewed scientific, historical, or statistical research in the public interest that adheres to all other applicable ethics and privacy laws;
- Comply with a legal obligation; and/or
- Make other internal and lawful uses of that information that are compatible with the context in which you provided it.
Other Rights: Once per year, you can request certain information about what personal information we disclose to third parties for their own direct marketing purposes during the preceding calendar year. You also have the right not to be discriminated against for exercise your Right to Know and/or Your Right to Delete. We do not discriminate on that basis, including in our pricing.
How to Exercise These Rights: The steps for submitting a request to know or a request to delete are:
- You or your authorized agent (formally registered with the California Secretary of State) submit the request to us.
- We verify your identity.
- We respond to your request.
Requests can be submitted in two ways. You may either call 1-800-772-2260, Option 7 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. When you submit your request, please be sure to provide us with sufficient information about you so that we can reasonably verify that you are the person about whom we collected personal information, and describe your request with sufficient detail so we understand it and can respond to it. More specifically, to facilitate the verification process, it is very helpful if you can ensure that your request includes the following information:
- Your residential address in California, so that we can confirm that you are a California resident.
- The best contact information for you. We prefer having both a phone number and an email address to contact you at.
- The nature of your relationship to Tyler, and/or why you think Tyler may have your personal information. For example, did you visit tylertech.com? Did you apply for a job with us? If we can target the search of our internal records, you will help us streamline our efforts and, therefore, our response time to you.
We cannot respond to your request or provide you with personal information if we cannot verify your identity or your authority to make the request and confirm the personal information relates to you. If the information you provide us is insufficient, we may contact you to request additional information (which we will only use to verify your identity if we do not already have that information). We will strive to verify your identity by matching the information you provide as part of your request to the information we have collected about you or to other, publicly available information that allows us to confirm your identity. We will require matching of two or three data points of information, depending on the nature of your request.
Response Timing and Format: We will confirm receipt of your request to know or your request to delete within 10 days of receiving the request. We will process the request as set forth in this Notice.
Our goal is to respond to a verifiable request within 45 days of its receipt. If we require more time (up to 90 days), we will inform you of the reason and extension period in writing. If we cannot provide the information or perform the action you have requested, our response will explain why not.
Please note: If you make a request to delete, you must clearly submit the request to delete and then separately confirm you want your personal information deleted.
Our Role As A Service Provider: A limited number of our clients may be businesses subject to the CCPA. To the extent we are a service provider to such a business, if we receive a request to know or a request to delete from you that relates to information we collected, maintained, or otherwise used on behalf of such a business, we may instruct you to make your request to that business directly.