Equity and Recovery Resource Round-Up
March 11, 2021 by
How will the American Rescue Plan affect state and local government’s reopening spend?
As America’s businesses, buildings, and communities gradually reopen, local government leaders are met with a host of new challenges — along with some intriguing opportunities. Jurisdictions are tasked with implementing effective reopening strategies for long-term economic recovery and success. At the same time, leaders are gaining the unique opportunity to leverage technology to enhance equity while achieving these goals.
The recently passed American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 provides a new opportunity for state and local governments to use relief funds to invest in technology to facilitate successful reopening and drive equitable service. Need inspiration on using these funds? Here are some plans already in practice along with extra ideas and expert tips.
Reopening & Recovery
Cities, counties, and states have been working tirelessly to implement swift and smart recovery plans. Read the following for scalable ideas and inspiration:
- Empathy’s Surprising Role in Recovery – Socrata users across the U.S. share their best practices and strategies to foster healthy recovery using empathy in collaborative work.
- Crisis Recovery, Planning for Regulators – The past response to the SARS epidemic provides valuable guidance for today’s public sector leaders. And, solutions implemented today will increase preparedness for future unexpected events.
- What’s New in Virtual Citizen Engagement – Virtual solutions allow cities to foster stronger constituent engagement, self-service, and connection.
- COVID-19 Recovery With Battle-Ready Data – Restoring fiscal health and revitalizing the economy are two key aspects of recovery. Building data into reopening strategies can help governments build efficient, targeted plans.
- Reopening Through Engagement – Governments are observing a uniquely high demand from constituents for timely, accurate information. The use of mobile apps for services and information fosters increased awareness and active, two-way citizen participation.
Prioritizing equity has been a key aspect of COVID-19 recovery. From launching accessible cloud-based services to aiding disproportionately affected communities, read how leaders are utilizing tech to address long-standing inequities.
- A Path for Equitable Service –Cloud-based solutions are helping communities overcome many of the barriers to fair access to public service.
- Equity’s Role in Nassau County Recovery – Nassau County Comptroller Jack Schnirman is using data to highlight equity gaps. The solutions implemented by this county provide a strong blueprint for battling economic inequity.
- CARES Act Funds: A New Playbook – Dozens of interviews from the CARES Act Playbook resource highlight the importance of using federal aid to invest in technology that enhances equitable access to services and improves governments’ responsiveness.
- Working Groups and COVID-19 Recovery – Data leaders are working to implement effective, equitable COVID-19 recovery plans in their communities, leading to new best practices.
- Protect Small Biz in COVID-19 Recovery – Small business, particularly those in communities of color and vulnerable populations, have been devastated by the pandemic. Utilizing economic indicator data may be a key factor in focusing on small business recovery.