Senior Software Engineering Manager, Data & Insights Solutions
We are looking for an exceptional Senior Software Engineering Manager to join our engineering team.
In this role, you will contribute to the development of Tyler Technologies' Data & Insights solutions by directing and supporting your team of software and quality assurance engineers in building scalable, highly available, performant, secure, and maintainable systems that enable public policymakers to make reliable data-informed decisions and deliver transparency to citizens.
You will work with Engineers and Engineering Managers reporting to you to ensure teams are set up for successful delivery and will be a key contributor to roadmap planning conversations for the services created and maintained by your team, collaborating with other Engineering Managers and Product Managers to maintain alignment. You will be responsible for driving the design and development of innovative software solutions to support ambitious, impactful business goals, providing coordination and oversight to the engineering team, facilitating technical decisions, breaking logjams, monitoring metrics for quality and velocity, and continuously refining development practices. You will be actively involved in coaching and growing the people you support, as well as hiring the best new employees to join us.
A successful candidate will have demonstrated exceptional leadership, project management, teamwork, and interpersonal communication abilities paired with strong technical skills. You must be data-driven, both to have an impact in our data-centric business and to be effective at managing the metric-driven aspects of our agile development cycle.
We are open to candidates who are located anywhere in the U.S.
We exist to inspire and empower every public servant to address society's pressing issues. We do that by enabling data-driven leadership through connected data and shared insights.
New York City, USDOT, DOJ, HHS and 500+ other cities, states, counties, and federal agencies use our platform & solutions to connect decision makers and the public with information that matters to their day to day life. We are leading clients across the country as they look to tackle the most pressing problems of our time.
What you’ll be doing:
- Ensure your team(s) have the context they need (e.g., business need, technical, design) they need to make implementation decisions that align with product and organizational objectives
- Coach and guide team members in expanding their skills and developing their careers
- Engage with other Engineering Managers, Principal and Lead Engineers, and Directors in shaping the future of the division’s technology choices, engineering principles and architecture, and delivery strategies
- Deliver best-in-class solutions for data acquisition, collaboration, presentation, and promotion
- Collaborate in a dynamic environment with a shared sense of responsibility and a strong mission
- Establish, champion, and continuously refine engineering process
- Facilitate technical discussion to remove roadblocks and maintain progress on your team
- Continuously focus on improving the scalability, reliability, security and performance of the platform while advocating for investment that align with strategic objectives
- Think strategically and advocate for technical investments that must be considered to achieve business objectives
- Facilitate technical discussions and build consensus among engineers and non-technical stakeholders
- Develop a point of view on technical matters and effectively communicate architectural decisions and technical strategies so that development teams organically align behind a shared vision with an understanding of why everyone should follow the strategies presented
- Take on new challenges and opportunities and rapidly develop your own skills
- Over 4 years of experience managing multiple software development teams
- Demonstrated mastery of at least one statically typed language like Scala, Java, Go, Rust or C++.
- You have knowledge and experience with relational databases in production, ideally Postgres. Bonus points for experience with technologies like Amazon Athena or Google BigQuery. More bonus points for a deep understanding of the AWS environment and relevant engineering approaches
- Ability to take ownership of a product, broad set of services or major features or components and be responsible for their on-time delivery and continued success
- A track record of shipping scalable, client-facing software
- Experience managing, mentoring, and recruiting team members
- Experience in owning all aspects of a system lifecycle, from design, testing, deployment, leveraging metrics, and monitoring system execution
- Experience developing roadmaps and plans for an engineering group, and coordinating planning and collaborating with product, design, and other engineering groups
- Ability to pass a federal background check required
Tyler Technologies (NYSE: TYL) provides integrated software and technology services to the public sector. Tyler's end-to-end solutions empower local, state, and federal government entities to operate more efficiently and connect more transparently with their constituents and with each other. By connecting data and processes across disparate systems, Tyler's solutions are transforming how clients gain actionable insights that solve problems in their communities. Tyler has more than 37,000 successful installations across more than 12,000 locations, with clients in all 50 states, Canada, the Caribbean, Australia, and other international locations. Tyler has been recognized numerous times for growth and innovation, including Government Technology’s GovTech 100 list and Forbes’ “Most Innovative Growth Companies” list. More information about Tyler Technologies, an S&P 500 company headquartered in Plano, Texas, can be found at https://www.tylertech.com
. To learn more about our Data & Insights solutions, visit https://www.tylertech.com/solutions/transformative-technology/data-insights.
Additionally, we aspire to be remarkable: in the culture we create, the products we build, and the services we deliver. We believe a diverse team that embodies different backgrounds and experiences is necessary for us to be the best we can be. Within the company, we pursue a culture of inclusivity by identifying and removing aspects of our culture that stop people from being able to do the best work of their lives in physical and emotional safety, while being their authentic selves. We seek diversity, equity, and inclusion across our organization and in our daily work as individuals.
We are committed to making continual progress in everything that we do.
State-Specific Salary Range Disclosure Requirements
Salary will generally fall between $141,713 - $191,289 before adjustment for geographic differences. Recruiter can confirm if position is incentive eligible.
Taking Care of You & Your Family
Your health and well-being are important to us. That’s why we invest in our team members by offering competitive benefits to support their health and financial wellness. Learn more about how we care for our people.
Tyler is subject to regulations, guidelines, and/or client requirements relating to the qualifications of Tyler personnel performing certain client work. Because of the nature of this position, it is a requirement that the candidate can successfully pass a federal background check at the time an offer is extended and over the course of employment with Tyler.
Tyler Technologies is proud to be an affirmative action / equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, creed, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected under local, state or federal laws. If you require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process due to a disability, please submit your request by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 800.646.2633 ext. 791008. Please keep in mind these methods are reserved for individuals who require accommodation due to a disability.