SQL Conversion Engineer (Remote/DFW)
In turbulent times, people look for stability. Tyler Technologies is a debt-free company with a history of sustained growth. During the 2008 recession, we hired and invested in both our people and products setting the stage for dramatic growth over the next decade. We are hiring during the pandemic to continue to fuel our steady growth and set the stage for our future. We are the nation’s largest dedicated provider of public sector software and we recently were welcomed into the S&P 500 index (NYSE: TYL)
So what do our Conversion Engineers do? The SQL Conversion Engineer converts client data into Tyler’s courts and justice software in a way that meets our clients’ business needs.
How? We write SQL code. Yes, raw T-SQL code. In scripts, we write SQL in a Microsoft SQL Server environment. We are not a drag and drop shop using SSIS. We are a team of people who love to problem solve with SQL scripts. That’s certainly not the only thing we do, but it is a fundamental part of it. We are not a BI shop and we don’t build or populate data warehouses, we migrate data from one source system to another.
We have some great tools that we wrote to sequence and run the SQL we write. We are always looking to innovate and make our tools and processes more efficient. That’s just how we do things here.
This role involves data analysis – where does this unusual data go into our database structure? – and problem solving – this client stores their financials rolled up and we need a more granular breakdown.
We are looking for experienced SQL developers who really love to code in T-SQL to join a very collaborative team. You’ll have some very experienced folks around you and some newer folks, all of whom are learning together. No one knows everything, so we lean on each other. A lot. We share scripts, we do code reviews to help, and we have active mentoring happening every day.
We are part of something bigger than ourselves at Tyler. We are making government more effective and efficient in how they run their local justice system. What we do saves taxpayers money and provides more access to justice for everyone.
We work with our integrated solutions that help courts and public safety organizations of all sizes better protect and serve the public. By helping provide solutions that improve efficiency and response time, you can help serve our citizens and make communities safer.
Work with our integrated solutions that help courts and public safety organizations of all sizes better protect and serve the public. By helping provide solutions that improve efficiency and response time, you can help serve our citizens and make communities safer.
- Did we already say writing SQL? Yeah, we write a lot of SQL on this job. This can be complex SQL, not just your run of the mill SQL. The data model is large and complex with a lot to learn. If you don’t like writing SQL by hand, this is not a good fit for you. If you love it, read on.
- We do data analysis on each project, so you’ll need to be good at piecing together data puzzles, asking discerning questions, and working with colleagues and clients to get answers
- We have a custom toolset we built. We want you to learn it, use it, and tell us how we can improve it.
- We have some solid processes that have been honed through 15 years of doing data conversions. We want you to learn these processes – because they really do work – and then work with us on finding ways to improve them or replace them with better ways to do our work.
- Database backups, restores, creating indexes, shrinking databases – we consider these types of operations basic to what we do. You will be expected to do these things and understand when, why, and how to do them.
- Work in SQL Server environments. We work with multiple versions of SQL Server depending upon the project. We usually cover the current release of SQL Server and two earlier releases.
- Some of us work on Azure projects, so familiarity with that may be helpful.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems (MIS), or related field or relevant work experience; no degree, no problem as long as you know your stuff.
- You should value deadlines and regularly complete work on time
- You should be a strong problem solver
- Excellent interpersonal skills including verbal and written communication, teamwork, and customer service skills.
- Technical knowledge requirements:
- Proficiently use Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS)
- Write and maintain stored procedures and functions using T-SQL and SSMS
- Use aggregate functions in Microsoft SQL Server
- Create and maintain complex queries in Microsoft SQL Server using T-SQL
- Understand and use database schemas, tables, relationships, and constraints
- Develop, maintain, and troubleshoot conversion packages
- A few of us also write Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) reports from time to time
- Even fewer of us dabble in application development
Taking Care of You & Your Family
Your family’s health and well-being are important to us. That’s why we invest in our employees by offering competitive benefits to support their health and financial wellness. Learn more about how we care for our employees »
Tyler is subject to regulations, guidelines, and/or client requirements relating to the qualifications of Tyler personnel performing certain client work. Because of the nature of this position, it is a requirement that the candidate can successfully pass a federal background check at the time an offer is extended and over the course of employment with Tyler.
Requisition Number:2018001 - 1
Tyler Technologies is proud to be an affirmative action / equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, creed, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected under local, state or federal laws. If you require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process due to a disability, please submit your request by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 800.646.2633 ext. 791008. Please keep in mind these methods are reserved for individuals who require accommodation due to a disability.